News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Case Trimming Length

Started by cwall64, March 26, 2017, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Center10

Hi All,
What case trimmer would you all recommend? Just starting to reload.

Many thanks!

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Rob01

If you plan on getting into loading and will for a while then buy a Giraud trimmer. Anyone who waits and finally does after spending more money on other systems over the years always asks "why did I wait so long?" Yes they aren't cheap but they pay for themselves in time saved and ease of use.

cwall64

Quote from: Rob01 on March 27, 2017, 03:27:07 PMIf you plan on getting into loading and will for a while then buy a Giraud trimmer. Anyone who waits and finally does after spending more money on other systems over the years always asks "why did I wait so long?" Yes they aren't cheap but they pay for themselves in time saved and ease of use.

Rob is 100% correct here!  Ask me how I know...  Started out with the L.E. Wilson some years back, bought the Giraud TriWays a couple of years ago for 223 and 308 - got tired of sore figures and bought the big trimmer early last year.  Add all that up and figure out how much money I wasted.
NRA Benefactor - Life

rardoin

Quote from: Rob01 on March 27, 2017, 03:27:07 PMAnyone who waits and finally does after spending more money on other systems over the years always asks "why did I wait so long?" Yes they aren't cheap but they pay for themselves in time saved and ease of use.

Confucious could have not spoken a more universal truth!!!   I came to scoff but I now come to spread the word!  The Giraud is the cat's a$$!

Wilson1911

The lock rings are essential on the giraud. Best 2 dollar mod....and well the only mod it needs.

The chamfer while it trims makes it more than worth it. My RCBS cleaning station now collects dust....but I do use it to hold spare primers in the little tray it has on top.

Back on topic....I trim to 1.915. This way I always have room for error in case I nick a case mouth and it leaves less room for that carbon ring.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

CaneZach

Another vote for the Giraud. Trim, chamfer, and debur in about 5 seconds? Yes, please!! Like Rob said, they're pricey, but I'm able to trim and chamfer 100 cases in the time it took me just to trim a measly handful on my old hand crank lathe trimmer. Plus the results are outstanding and repeatable once you have it set up. If you're going to reload multiple calibers, get cutting blades for each caliber in addition to the case holders and buy something like the Hornady lock rings. It'll make swapping calibers a breeze!

Center10

Thanks everyone for the advice

rardoin

Quote from: Wilson1911 on March 27, 2017, 11:54:24 PMThe lock rings are essential on the giraud. Best 2 dollar mod....and well the only mod it needs.

I have not changed out my locking rings and never gave it a consideration...even though I hate the set-up as supplied by Doug.  Is the thread diameter/pitch the same as a standard 7/8 die?

Rob01

Yup they are the same. I use the Hornady locking rings below. If you don't change out the calibers often then the locking rings aren't as essential but to be able to change them out and keep the same settings then you need the locking rings as once locked they don;t move.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165236200/hornady-sure-loc-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread