News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

My 6.5 Creedmoor / Ballistic Advantage Barrel - First Shots

Started by stevieb92, June 11, 2016, 07:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevieb92

Well, I finally got my 6.5 CM rifle assembled to the point I could take it out and shoot it.  My PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MRAD is backordered so I have a crappy 3-9x40 Simmons scope mounted so I can shoot and get some rounds down the barrel.  Also, I haven't decided 100% on the brake as of yet, but the leading contender is the Patriot Valley Arms timeable brake.  I haven't seen many results posted of the Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmoor barrels on the web so I thought I would post some of my thoughts.

First, the build list:

Mega MATEN Ambi receiver set

SLR Rifleworks Solo Lite 16 inch keymod handguard

Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmoor 22-inch barrel (Snipershide group buy - Thanks MuteOne!!!)

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 9 Adjustable gas block - set screw (modified by filing a small flat on the head of the button head cap screw holding the detent leaf spring to fit with a bit more clearance inside the Solo Lite handguard)

LaRue MBT-2S trigger (with JP Reduced Power yellow trigger spring = 3.5 lb crisp trigger - fantastic trigger for the $$$!!!)

JP Full Mass Bolt Carrier

JP 308 Enhanced HP Bolt

Magpul PRS with JP qd sling mount on side

Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip

Here are a couple pics of the rifle as I had it configured to shoot.

I had three factory ammo types on hand to do a short break-in.  I had one box of Hornady American Whitetail 129gr SP, one box of Hornady 120gr AMAX and one box of Hornady 140gr ELD-M ammo.  My plan was to use the American Whitetail ammo for the break-in and shoot 1 round, clean the barrel for the first five, then shoot a two shot group, clean, and then a three shot group and clean.  The last 10 were shot as two 5-shot groups.  Then, my plan was to shoot one 5-shot group of each of the AMAX and ELD-M ammo.  I didn't have a lot of time available to get through these shots, so I figured by the time I finished shooting all those it would be time to leave.  I had a HVAC repair tech coming to my house to fix the A/C unit at home.  I was shooting off a Harris bipod and rear bag as pictured above.

Anyway, after dialing in the gas block setting on the first 5 shots, I was able to get consistent 4-o'clock ejection and bolt hold open on empty mag.  No issues whatsoever.  Barrel cleaned up really nice too.  Only two wet patches and two dry and the barrel was squeaky clean.  Here is a shot of the two 5-shot groups with the American Whitetail ammo.  This "hunting" ammo shot surprisingly well.

Unfortunately, my watch said I needed to get on the road, so I had to really rush the AMAX and ELD-M groups.  So, with a little more patience, I could probably get these to group tighter, but considering what time crunch I was under, I was happy.

Overall, I am really happy how well this barrel is shooting, and I plan to work up a handload for it in the near future.  I want to run at least 100 rounds of some Hornady factory ammo through it before I get too serious into load development.

ejduhon

You might want to try the Prime Ammo 130gr OTM. I posted a thread about it here. I have a Ballistic Advantage barrel as well on my AR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a great shooting rifle.

Kansaswoodguy

Precision Armament makes some very good brakes also. I have a M4-72 on a AR-15 it recoils like a 22LR no joking. Gun just lays there making watching your own hits very easy. In my Creedmoor gasser I like the BTHP style bullets the Lapua Scenars are particularly accurate a little pricey but they do shoot very well. Weaver makes a 20MOA riser rail that's not terribly expensive you might consider.  Nice looking gun

sass2924

How do you like the SLR Handguard.  That one is on my list and I would like to get some feedback.

stevieb92

Quote from: sass2924 on July 09, 2016, 11:08:03 AMHow do you like the SLR Handguard.  That one is on my list and I would like to get some feedback.

I really like the SLR handguard.  Only thing I do not like is the clearance issue noted in my OP.  Other than that, it's well worth the money.  I will definitely be buying another one for a future build.

I recently got rid of the crappy 3-9x40 and installed my ADM Recon Mount with a Diamondback HP 4-16x42.  My Viper PST 6-24 is still on order.

Also started doing some load development and scoping for pressure signs.  Only 3 shot groups for now.  I am going to do a second round of these with a bit higher charge range.  Also trying out target designs.

My rifle doesn't appear to like 120 AMAX too well.

Oh well, I plan on using 123 AMAX anyway from here on out.

stevieb92

Quote from: ejduhon on June 11, 2016, 09:04:43 PMYou might want to try the Prime Ammo 130gr OTM. I posted a thread about it here. I have a Ballistic Advantage barrel as well on my AR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a great shooting rifle.

How is your rifle shooting with that ammo?  I have read a ton about it, but plan to stick with Hornady brass for handloads.

gman47564

good looking gun stevie... gotta ask why only the 123's... the 140 eld'm looks good also...
Grant

stevieb92

Quote from: gman47564 on July 17, 2016, 07:12:52 PMgood looking gun stevie... gotta ask why only the 123's... the 140 eld'm looks good also...

I have a bunch of Varget on hand and primarily use that in all my .223 and .308 rifles.  I also have a Chargemaster loaded with Varget full time, and not really fond of changing powders.  Also, I have heard that Varget and 140 class bullets don't play well together, so I was planning to stick to 130 and lower.  Price point is also a consideration, as I tend to weigh price vs ballistic performance.  Those items usually lead me to Hornady bullets.  Therefore, the 123 AMAX is a good overall mix of my requirements.  If I couldn't get the 123s to shoot well, I might have abandoned them, but I think I might have some luck once I get some more development completed.  Time will tell...

stevieb92

More shooting results with Varget and 123 AMAX.

39.3 grains and 39.6 grains

39.9 grains and 40.2 grains.  Yes, I messed up the MOA calculation on the 40.2 on right...

40.5 grains and 40.8 grains.

41.1 grains and 41.4 grains.

I am going to investigate the 41.1 load a little more.  Probably go up and down a couple tenths and see what happens.[/img][/img]

westside benny

stevieb92

A couple updates.  A few weeks ago, I picked up a Patriot Valley Arms timeable muzzle brake and installed it.  I also removed the bead blast finish on the BA barrel; I wasn't a real fan and it matches the as-machined finish of the brake much better.  I have been shooting the following load for a few weeks (Hornady brass, 40.9 gr Varget, CCI 200, 123 AMAX averaging 2880 measured with a Magnetospeed V3), and have had decent results averaging .6 - .7 MOA.  However, I wanted to try some 140 ELD-M, so I picked up a couple boxes of factory Hornady ammo to try.  I think I am going to pick up a couple boxes of 140 ELD-M and give handloads a try.  I picked up some H4350 a couple weeks ago.  Today, I shot the rifle for the first time since adding the brake, and it felt like a 22 rimfire.  That brake works amazingly well.  I would definitely buy another.

GoneshootinginAZ

Looks like things are really coming together for you! I have a PVA brake on a Ruger Precision Precision rifle and it works great on that as well. Plan to put one on a Tikka CTRx in 6.5 I have on order. Really like the fact you can self install it and Josh at PVA has such great customer service! See your brake is the latest generation with the flats on the front of the brake - another great idea!

How does your brass and primers look when you compare your handloads to the factory loads - any ejector/extractor/flattened primers?

NDAR15MAN1

STEVEB92.......WOW...What a great job on your build. I wish i had the talent to put together a gun like that. I want a AR 6.5 Creedmoor just like that but just cannot pay the$ 2000.00 or more for one. Martyd

stevieb92

Quote from: GoneshootinginAZ on September 20, 2016, 04:53:16 PMHow does your brass and primers look when you compare your handloads to the factory loads - any ejector/extractor/flattened primers?

The brass looks surprisingly very similar.  Some pieces have slight ejector marks, and some don't.  Here is a pic of my handloads with 40.9 grains of Varget under a 123 AMAX.

Here is a pic of 10 pieces of the factory loaded 140 ELD-M brass.

stevieb92

Quote from: NDAR15MAN1 on September 22, 2016, 11:37:50 PMSTEVEB92.......WOW...What a great job on your build. I wish i had the talent to put together a gun like that. I want a AR 6.5 Creedmoor just like that but just cannot pay the$ 2000.00 or more for one. Martyd

Thanks, I am really pleased with how it turned out.  I didn't buy all the parts in one month.  I bought a few pieces every month until I had everything.  Much easier on the credit card that way.