Skip to main content
Topic: MOA all DAY? (Read 11503 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MOA all DAY?

Reply #30
Dnellans, my F-open rifle is 21.5lbs and is only shot off a front rest (Seb NEO is what I use) and a rear bag.  It would not be practical to shoot it off a bipod due to stock design.  I have shot a 594-32 or 32X at 600yds, F-class target, with my Ruger PR, 6.5 Creedmoor, Harris folding bipod and a Protektor small rear bag.  That equates to 56/60 shots at/under 1 MOA.  I am an average shooter at the matches I shoot.  I propose that with decent equipment, and precise loading technique, proper load workup, and plenty of practice most anyone on this forum can achieve these results if they persevere.  I also view the claims of "my gun will shoot 1/2 MOA ALL DAY" with great scepticism when someone posts that they have an 'off the shelf' rifle and factory ammo or such.  I do get entertained by such posts.  These guys usually don't hang around long when they are challenged.  One fellow from the great state of Tennessee comes to mind at the moment. ;D
Bahahahaha.
I.cant help but cry laughing.
In the land of the rednecks, where I live, these knuckleheads hear me shooting.go get they're deer rifle and Wal-Mart Remington ammo , more beer and the challenge starts ..
I can headshot a deer at 500 yds."
And when he can't hit the dot at 300 Yards they don't stay long.
Then I hear " I don't know what happened, this gun is always dead on "
Lol😆 I can't help but laugh at them.
"kill em all"

Reply #31
I also view the claims of "my gun will shoot 1/2 MOA ALL DAY" with great scepticism when someone posts that they have an 'off the shelf' rifle and factory ammo or such.  I do get entertained by such posts.  These guys usually don't hang around long when they are challenged.  One fellow from the great state of Tennessee comes to mind at the moment. ;D
haha my groups at the 2-300 range pale in comparison to the "great" former ShannonGTO's "worst" groups at 1200 yards. Even when measing my groups with my trusty fishermans tape measure lol.

Reply #32
Making progress, my latest load development targets.  Not moa all day long but getting closer.  Working with Nosler s 123CC and 130AB.  Ten groups averaged just under an moa at 200 yards. 

Reply #33
Bahahahaha.
I.cant help but cry laughing.
In the land of the rednecks, where I live, these knuckleheads hear me shooting.go get they're deer rifle and Wal-Mart Remington ammo , more beer and the challenge starts ..
I can headshot a deer at 500 yds."
And when he can't hit the dot at 300 Yards they don't stay long.
Then I hear " I don't know what happened, this gun is always dead on "
Lol😆 I can't help but laugh at them.

I was shooting at my range a couple weeks ago and had new shooter show up he was invited and a good guy. He had two custom guns with him and was trying his hand at 1000yds and to his credit we did get him to connect with the 12"x20" target at that range with both guns. I then pulled out one of my AR-15's and started shooting an 18"x30" IDPA target I have at 585yds I plinked at it a while then started calling head shoots and went about 5 for 5 at that range he desided that looked like fun and we got him on the steel at that range and then he tried to hit the head he shoot about five or six times before hitting it. Needless to say I don't think he will underestimate that AR-15 again and I don't think he realized my point of aim was changing from shot to shot depending on what the wind was doing.

Reply #34
Making progress, my latest load development targets.  Not moa all day long but getting closer.  Working with Nosler s 123CC and 130AB.  Ten groups averaged just under an moa at 200 yards. 

32 replies and the first one that has some results in the spirit of the game - woot!  can you tell us more about your gun and setup for shooting?  if i'm reading the targets right, it appears you only actually have a single group at 2.3 inches, just a bit over an MOA, all the others are under 2 inches and 1 MOA?

Reply #35
I have (or had) several rifles that occasionally shot groups in the .2-.3 moa range at 100 yards. Day in and day out... let's leave that part out. As for Internet claims, let's just say some keyboards are capable of extreme accuracy clear out to extended long range.

Reply #36
32 replies and the first one that has some results in the spirit of the game - woot!  can you tell us more about your gun and setup for shooting?  if i'm reading the targets right, it appears you only actually have a single group at 2.3 inches, just a bit over an MOA, all the others are under 2 inches and 1 MOA?

Thank you.
That's what I thought this thread was suppose to be about.  It's one thing to shoot an MOA group but do it again and again.  And like you ask, prove it.  I spend a lot time on the 6.5 Grendel Forum and the Horde has an unwritten rule "if you don't have pictures it didn't happen."  I don't see this as bragging but as sharing and learning from other shooter.  We all know there are plenty of people out there who would love to shut us all down, so we need to support each other.

Reply #37
My rifle started out as Savage 12 VLP 22-250, bought used off Gunbroker for $740.  This last winter I swapped barrels to 6.5 Creedmoor, bought the X-Caliber barrel for $300 off of the Savage Shooters Forum.  The scope is Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50, $300 at Cabelas.  Put a muzzle brake on it, not that it really needs it, from Precision Firearms, $95.  Always looking for how to improve it.  Better scope would be nice but the next thing I'd like to get is a chassis.

Reply #38

Here is a target from one of my AR-15's I dug out of the reloading box of targets worth keeping. This was at 100yds with a mil spec trigger back before I started buying Geissele High Speed National Match triggers I've never run that test with my 6.5 Creedmoor and honestly don't intend to but it can be a fun exercise.

Reply #39
heres a ocw test I did...lol does that count...
Grant

Reply #40
Nice Gman47564 my next gun is going to be a bolt gun for sure  I'm tired of shooting those huge .6" groups with a semi auto.

Reply #41
My rifle started out as Savage 12 VLP 22-250, bought used off Gunbroker for $740.  This last winter I swapped barrels to 6.5 Creedmoor, bought the X-Caliber barrel for $300 off of the Savage Shooters Forum.  The scope is Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50, $300 at Cabelas.  Put a muzzle brake on it, not that it really needs it, from Precision Firearms, $95.  Always looking for how to improve it.  Better scope would be nice but the next thing I'd like to get is a chassis.

are you shooting it off that front rest normally (and for your target above)? any type of rear bag?

Reply #43

Here is a target from one of my AR-15's I dug out of the reloading box of targets worth keeping. This was at 100yds with a mil spec trigger back before I started buying Geissele High Speed National Match triggers I've never run that test with my 6.5 Creedmoor and honestly don't intend to but it can be a fun exercise.

shooting off bipod? front rest? rear bag? tell us more about you did it!

Reply #44
that counts but what charge weight are you going to go with after that? makes you wonder if it matters at all?!?
42.2 and a little seating depth tweaking and the all touch at a 100 . Eldms do the same thing.
Grant