Skip to main content
Topic: Ballistic Trajectory App (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ballistic Trajectory App

Reply #15
The StrelokPro pro will link with a weather meter.

I’m saving up for a kestrel simply because I hunt in cold weather and my phone battery dies fast in the elements.

Reply #16
The StrelokPro pro will link with a weather meter.

I’m saving up for a kestrel simply because I hunt in cold weather and my phone battery dies fast in the elements.

I used to use Strelok Pro. It's nice, but BallisticsArc has GPS maps, range cards, etc. So many more features and I find myself wondering how I shot without them, now that I have them.

Reply #17
I used to use Strelok Pro. It's nice, but BallisticsArc has GPS maps, range cards, etc. So many more features and I find myself wondering how I shot without them, now that I have them.

Never forget that you did shoot without them.   Sooner or later you'll find yourself with a dead battery or broken device and will have to revert to basics.

Personally I don't like wind meters (anemometers) for the simple fact that the wind at ground level can be far different than the wind up near the apogee of your bullet's trajectory, especially at LR and ELR.   I do carry a barometer, thermometer, and simple hygrometer to assist with calc's but wind?  I use "nature" to tell me direction and approximate speed where it counts.   The wind near your rifle is usually the wind that has the least effect on your bullet and unless you have a means of measuring wind half way to your target and 20, 30, 40 feet in the air, what's the use? 

Then again, almost all of my LR/ELR shooting has been over nasty terrain where there are several different wind patterns within a mile's distance.     You ought to see the wind flags at our club range during a Benchrest Match.   18 shooting positions and no less than 100 flags out.   It's hilarious to see almost none pointing in the same direction. :) :)
US Army 1965-1972

Reply #18
Never forget that you did shoot without them.   Sooner or later you'll find yourself with a dead battery or broken device and will have to revert to basics.

I never have LOL, ok out to 100 yds...that's my longest shot so far haha.  Do want it as a crutch but more of a learning to tool to help teach.

Reply #19

Personally I don't like wind meters (anemometers) for the simple fact that the wind at ground level can be far different than the wind up near the apogee of your bullet's trajectory, especially at LR and ELR.   I do carry a barometer, thermometer, and simple hygrometer to assist with calc's but wind?  I use "nature" to tell me direction and approximate speed where it counts.   The wind near your rifle is usually the wind that has the least effect on your bullet and unless you have a means of measuring wind half way to your target and 20, 30, 40 feet in the air, what's the use? 

Then again, almost all of my LR/ELR shooting has been over nasty terrain where there are several different wind patterns within a mile's distance.     You ought to see the wind flags at our club range during a Benchrest Match.   18 shooting positions and no less than 100 flags out.   It's hilarious to see almost none pointing in the same direction. :) :)

Military shooter here...trust me I will never forget lol.

Actually, these days, once I have the raw data, it's still a game of "chase the mirage". Shooting solutions are great for a consistent condition. Change it a hair and you'll scare the target instead of hitting them. So you still have to have *some* learned skill, even with a fancy computer/wind meter.

But, I'd be crazy if I said it didn't make life 100x easier.

Reply #20
I use this one for IOS

Ballistic: by Peak Studios LLC

Reply #22
I have both StrelokPro and Applied Ballistics. Both are good and both are accurate. I like the user interface of StrelokPro better and use it more often. I especially like the feature that allows me to input a custom string of targets. Just like most things, decide on one and learn how to use it.

Reply #23
I am now using Strelok Pro.  What is a click though, is it one tick mark or a whole number say 1-2?  I kinda used it the other day and going from 100-200 told me elevation was 1 click.  was cold so didn't stay long but seems it should have been more then 1 click.

Reply #24
I am now using Strelok Pro.  What is a click though, is it one tick mark or a whole number say 1-2?  I kinda used it the other day and going from 100-200 told me elevation was 1 click.  was cold so didn't stay long but seems it should have been more then 1 click.

Click is one position on the dial of the scope. If you have a 1/4 MOA scope one click is 1/4" at one hundred yards. You can change all the in the settings too. MOA, Mil, click.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #25
that's what I thought just wanted to check.  I have a mil so .1

Reply #26
I have a kestrel i use for wind, temp. Wind chill etc..
But i use berger ballistic table. 
I shot my ar in a tactical match last sat. Entered my ballistic information and got one shot cold bore shots on target .
Now, is there anything wrong with what i use ? Im wandering what else i could ask for out of another program like yall use. Applied ballistics, strelok, etc... whats the differnce in the end if both give cold bore kills or x s. Am i missing something. ? I never used  snything but berger so i asked.
"kill em all"

Reply #27
The reason for the retcle display is that one can get a better understanding of where to hold the cross hair or stadia for ranges significantly different than the sight in range.  This is valuable when one doesn’t have time or prefers not to use come up or dial in wind corrections.

Go here to see what this looks like for typical scopes:  http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/build-sight-pictures/

If some of the computed pictures work, they can be downloaded for use either in hard copy or displayed on a mobile device. 

Apps like Strelok are far more convenient, espevially in the field, but this site hit the web a few years before Strelok and others implemented the idea on mobile devices.

Reply #29
I like EBC2, External Ballistics Calculator.  I think it costs 8 or 10 bucks for the Android app.

Yeah, I like it too.  Easy to use, all the information you need, and accurate.