Skip to main content
Topic: Minimum magnification you would use? (Read 492 times) previous topic - next topic

Minimum magnification you would use?

I plan on doing some long range paper and steel punching this spring. anywhere from 600 to 1200 yards. I have two questions...
Your usage for the magnification suggested and what magnification?

Thanks guys.

Re: Minimum magnification you would use?

Reply #1
10x with good glass would be the minimum I would consider. A 4-16 or 6-24 would be light years better though. Out past 300-400 paper is pretty hard to see hits regardless steel is much easier.
Dave

Reply #2
I am currently looking at a 4x18 and or a 6x24. years ago I read a book yaers ago that said a minimum of x1 per 100 yards is a good rule. I know a 3x9 at 300 yards is pretty monotonous shooting a 8 inch plate. So I need longer range to keep me interested.
 I like the features of the 4x18 and it is a pretty well proven scope. The 6x24 is not as well known but gets good reviews + has illumination.

oh decisions decisions!

Reply #3
I am currently looking at a 4x18 and or a 6x24. years ago I read a book yaers ago that said a minimum of x1 per 100 yards is a good rule. I know a 3x9 at 300 yards is pretty monotonous shooting a 8 inch plate. So I need longer range to keep me interested.
 I like the features of the 4x18 and it is a pretty well proven scope. The 6x24 is not as well known but gets good reviews + has illumination.

oh decisions decisions!

Not sure what brand you're looking at but if I were going 1000-1200 on a regular basis I would be using a 6-24 and running it @ about 18, It would probably be clearer than the 4-18 @ 18. Most scopes seem to not be as clear and have a lot of mirage on their highest magnification. I have several 6-24s most with illumination. I've never felt the need to use the illumination.
Dave

Reply #4
  For me, illumination is critically important in a hunting optic.
 For just punching paper or shooting steel it probably isn't.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #5
If the scopes are of equal quality then go with the 6-24x. You can always dial it down to 18x but can't dial the 18x up to 24x. I usually use between 12-16x mostly at matches for paper and steel to 1250 yards. I have shot on targets to 2500 yards on 17x. No problem seeing it with good glass.

As for illumination, I use it at matches with dark steel in darker areas. Depending on the scope though it may or may not be worth it. What scopes are you looking at exactly?

Reply #6
I have  a limited budget so I have been looking at the Athlon Argos BTR 6x24 and the Falcon M18+ 4x18. Both seem to get good reviews as far as "bang for buck". The Athlon has illumination (not that I need it, I have night vision) I am worried about tracking in this optics price point. Reviews have shown good tracking for both but that is a small sample size. 
Falcon $350
Athlon $360.
Still trying to figure it out.
My uses, Mostly shooting with friends, Possibly a match later on after some practice. Little hunting deer and yotes but I have other rifles I use for that normally.
Rifle is a PSA 6.5 Creedmoor

AL

Reply #7
Get the Athlon. And night vision isn't a replacement for illumination. Two different jobs.

Reply #8
my night vision is day or night. ATN x sight works pretty decent for the money. But I see your point.

Reply #9
I ended up getting the Falcon 4x18. I am going to get the Athlon later for a another rifle though. I figured the 4x would suit me better for hunting and if the 18 is clear enough that will get me to 1,000.
Arrives Monday.

AL

Reply #11
The Falcon M18+ appears to be very solid, B-20 reticle looks good, and glass is very clear edge to edge out to 18x. Very clear and solid mil/mil adjustments and a FFP. Good bang for buck as far as I can see so far. I would have liked to see a 50mm objective though.
Range test on Saturday or Sunday.  

Reply #12
 I hadn't heard of Falcon until a few weeks ago.
 I'm interested in their 1-8 but don't really know enough about the brand.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #13
They used to be held next to the SWAFA line. So far first impressions are good, I have to compare them to a more expensive Leupold. or Vortex.

AL