Skip to main content
Topic: New Family Member (Read 556 times) previous topic - next topic

New Family Member

Well I was just going to stop by the gunshop today and pick up a new range key and buy all the bergers he had in stock. Seems someone already beat me to the bergers so I was out of luck.

Funny thing is, sometimes when I go in, Butch does not say a whole lot, then other times we chat for a long time.........and then once in a while I say hi...and he says hi back, then pulls something out of the back.

Today was one of those days, I headed in straight to the bullet section. I no more made it back up to the front to ask if he had in any in the back....he just laughed and said no....then disappeared around the corner. I go and sit behind the counter and he magically appears beside me holding a pistol. It's a ZEV glock. It was nice but not 1700 bones nice...he goes in the back again...this time he hands me a STI Costa Ludus edition in 9mm.... :o

For those of you who don't know. I used to be an AR/pistol only guy..well that owned no bolt actions. I have actually taken the Chris Costa pistol and AR classes. They are a ton of fun and a great learning experience. Chris shot this pistol in class and rocked with it...I wanted one, but the wait was a year....and well my interests went else where.

I also used to shoot USPSA single stack with my wilson. Tons of fun until primers dried up and I stop shooting. I always looked at the STI race guns the unlimited guys had, but was content with single stack.

So back to today....I told him what I really needed was a new gen 5 glock...well he went back into his office and pulls out one of the 19x pistols that was submitted for the military...of which the Sig 320 beat it out for procurement. It was only a $50 difference in price over a regular g19...so I said what the heck...traded my almost new gen 4 for it.

And well as you can guess, I couldn't keep my hands off the STI. He even pulled out another one, but I did not like it as much...mean while my fingers were all over the costa edition. So I ended up succumbing to my own self induced peer pressure and bought it.

Took her out to the range and ran 2 boxes of ammo thru her both open and suppressed. Shoots like a dream. The trigger is almost as good as my wilson, in time it should get just as smooth. Here are a few pics of her.

I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Re: New Family Member

Reply #1
Sweet!!!  I really like the grips on that Costa.

Reply #2
Costa is fun.

I got to audit one of his classes several years ago just before he left Magpul Dynamics.

I didn't know he had an STI.  I've always wanted one but they've been out of my reach.

Reply #3
Very nice!
Dave

Reply #4
Sweet!!!  But great finds.   Intrested in gow the glock feels and shoots? Any difference between gen 4?

The STI is awesome.  When My boys and I were shooting USPSA, my youngest got to run a match with aSTI Caspien race gun .  I got to run a few rounds  through it,  sweet pistols!
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Reply #5
Very nice Wilson. Enjoy them!
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #6
Have not shot the glock yet. I will on next days off. I will update after I do.

The STI ate all ammo shot thru it open/suppressed. Seems its just as hungry for ammo as my wilson is.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Reply #7
that sti pistol looks bad a$$. nice Wilson... never did care for the glocks personally.. always been a 1911 guy...
Grant

Reply #8
I too am a 1911 guy, that is what I grew up on in the Corps.  I have a Wilson Combat 1911 for IDPA loaded with 255gr SWC and 3.6gr of Titegroup... meets power factor.

When I got into 3-gun however, my 1911 wouldn't cut it.  So I bought an STI Edge in .40S&W.  I have 3 mags that can hold 14 rounds and 3 "tuned" mags that can hold 20 rounds.  I do enjoy the STI though my 1911 is still my go-to gun.

Your new STI looks awesome and I know you will love it.

Reply #9
Got pics of your Wilson ?? Mine has about 7k ran thru it.

I was actually suprised the sti has ran flawless so far. When i called them, I also asked about their new mags. While I only shot single stack. I am very familiar with you having to tune the mags on those guns.
 I am also suprised I am shooting with the red dot so well this early on. It is very different tho.

Reply #10
Beautiful handgun!!! I have never shot a 1911, don't want too, as I don't think I could resist from buying one.

Reply #11
i will get some pics...  Gotta figure out how to post them.  i am new to the online forum thing

Reply #12
Here are my guys.  The CQB Elite is about 6 years old and has upwards of 12k rounds through it.  It has seen lots of IDPA work.  The STI is my go to gun for 3-Gun.  I have not done a lot of 3-Gun but it has had a good workout none-the less.  The Wilson Combat Tactical LE hasn't see too much action.  That is my daughter's favorite.

Reply #13
What barrel is in your Wilson ? That the bushingless one ?

Leadhmr you should shoot one.  There is nothing like it.

Reply #14
They have two different barrel types:

- CQB Elite has the normal bushing barrel
  - CQB Tactical LE has the bushing-less cone barrel

Kinda a long story here about these barrels.  I initially ordered the Tactical only to find out later that it was not legal for IDPA because of the cone barrel.  Then I ordered the CQB elite to meet IDPA requirements and promised my wife I would sell the Tactical.  Later my daughter fell in love with the Tactical so I kept it.  Expensive mistake but i am really not complaining.  I modified the springs in the CQB elite to work with my special loads for IDPA and kept the Tactical 100% original so I can shoot factory ammo.