Skip to main content
Topic: Passing the gun torch to the next generation. (Read 175 times) previous topic - next topic

Passing the gun torch to the next generation.

While on the way to the range with my 16 year old grandson yesterday, he mentioned that many times as many  teens were killed each year because of texting while driving than with guns.  I complimented him on his observations and then we diverged in thoughts.  I suggested that teens not be allowed to have cell phones and not be allowed to drive until age 21.  When we got to the range, he shot my target AR and Savage Mod 10 Fhs,.223 while  I ran some 6.5 CM loads in my Mo12 LRP while he shot.,  He had never shot a 6.5 CM.  He thought that it was heavy and loved the SWFA 12X43 SS scope with MOA/MOA reticle. I have these on most of my rifles now.  I told him to adjust the parallax and put the center dot where he wanted to hit just like a red dot  The center dot on that reticle is the same size as the black center of the 1" Range Maxx spots that we were shooting.  To make a long story shorter, he shot a .106 and a .261" while all of mine were in the .300s,  He's on his high school skeet team and shot his first deer at age 6.  Its good to know that there are still some out there that we can pass the torch to after us.

Re: Passing the gun torch to the next generation.

Reply #1
Great job G-paw!!! Would have loved to have seen the look on your face when you realized he out shot you. If he can repeat that .185 average, you might want to get some side action going to supplement your income or kick into his collage fund.
Oh what I would give to have 16 year old eyes again....

Reply #2
We just had an article in our local newspaper about the NRA giving money to some of our schools for their shooting programs and how the schools need to stop accepting NRA money. Typical liberal bullsh!t. How kids should not be drawn to firearms and need to find interest in other things because hunter safety courses are doing nothing to curb gun violence.
Good on you for taking the kid to the range even though he already has an interest in the shooting sport. I plan on doing the same when my daughter and son in law decide to give me my grandkids to spoil. I need to have someone to pass my firearms on to!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article204340309.html
Stop the Gun Rights Abuse @ #Me2A

Reply #3
It sure sets the stage when kids start playing make believe violent video games on their smart phones at age ten. Seems to me there is some inappropriate parenting in that scenario.

Reply #4
     While on the way to the range with my 16 year old grandson yesterday, he mentioned that many times as many  teens were killed each year because of texting while driving than with guns.  I complimented him on his observations and then we diverged in thoughts.  I suggested that teens not be allowed to have cell phones and not be allowed to drive until age 21.  When we got to the range, he shot my target AR and Savage Mod 10 Fhs,.223 while  I ran some 6.5 CM loads in my Mo12 LRP while he shot.,  He had never shot a 6.5 CM.  He thought that it was heavy and loved the SWFA 12X43 SS scope with MOA/MOA reticle. I have these on most of my rifles now.  I told him to adjust the parallax and put the center dot where he wanted to hit just like a red dot  The center dot on that reticle is the same size as the black center of the 1" Range Maxx spots that we were shooting.  To make a long story shorter, he shot a .106 and a .261" while all of mine were in the .300s,  He's on his high school skeet team and shot his first deer at age 6.  Its good to know that there are still some out there that we can pass the torch to after us.

My 15 year old grandson spent last summer with me. As our work schedule allowed, he learned to reload in the evenings and shoot on the weekends. By August I had to focus hard to beat him on our long distance steel. When he put 3 successive rounds on a 1400 yard target I let him know how few people in the world could do what he had just done. It was a proud moment for both of us.