Skip to main content
Topic: Veterans with PTSD and the 2nd Amendment (Read 257 times) previous topic - next topic

Veterans with PTSD and the 2nd Amendment

I know many brother veterans that suffer from PTSD and some are crazy as a loon and should in no circumstance be able to get their hands on any firearm and then there are some that do alright on their medications and seem predictable enough to trust with a firearm. I do not want to offend anyone as this discussion does have to happen and there is discussion of how to deal with PTSD and our brother's 2nd Amendment right. I want positive input and not emotional hell from anyone as our government wants to take away that right from all of them with a broad blanket policy addition to the NCIS background check. Everyone is quick to call it a witch hunt as after what happened here less than 60 miles from home, we had a veteran with PTSD snap and murder 3 women at the Veteran's Hospital in Yountville, CA ands you guessed it, with his AR rifle.
How do we deal with this situation and all the guys coming home that are dealing with some serious issues that war has bestowed upon them? How do we decide which ones are trustworthy and which ones are not and how do we protect the ones that deserve to have their rights preserved?
I am not advocating stripping anyone of that right but I am concerned that this is not the end of the road with having our warriors snap and go to the point of no return. How do we help them and how do we protect the public from the ones that are dangerous and who is going to make that determination?
I had a dream! Free at last, Free at last! Moving to Idaho

Re: Veterans with PTSD and the 2nd Amendment

Reply #1
I'm tagging in to see how this goes. I served 21 years...

Tim

Reply #2
There are millions of combat vets who have come and gone with all of our wars and I don't see a problem overall. With PTSD there seems to be no difference of any significance than with those not adjudicated so and I find combat vets overall are generally better mannered people than the population at large. I would treat those with PTSD no different than that of the population in general. I expect this vet, who killed the VA workers, was giving all the warning signs the Florida HS shooter did and like him no one did anything to intervene. It seems to me that reaction to those giving these warning signs needs to be addressed individually and not wholesale based on some arbitrary condition as I may not trust the motives of those who are making these arbitrary rules. When was the last time a PTSD adjudicated vet did something like this? Offhand I cant remember even one. I prefer to live with the chance a nut will kill me with a gun over the prospect of being at the mercy of a nut with a baseball bat knowing I'm unarmed because this is where opening an avenue like this will ultimately lead to. Lets go after those who threaten to do these bad things and not create more problems by going after the innocent. We just need the will to it.

Reply #3
This is a very loaded question and it covers the gray area of how to determine who is or can easily become a danger to themselves and others.

Doing a "Five Axis" exam is not going to always determine the mental status of a person.
PLUS... how can even the best board of psychologists determine what a PTSD sufferer will do in the future?

Yes, it is a damn shame that vets who serve and return with deep psychological scars should also lose a freedom they fought for us to enjoy.

And do not think only vets suffer from PTSD. I have suffered from it as the result of a father that battered me as a kid. Even though I made him pay the price and feel the pain when I was 22 I still suffered from PTSD for decades until it was properly diagnosed and treated. Yet I owned firearms the entire time since I was 18. Should I have had my right to keep sans bear arms taken from me? How many other non-vets are out there with PTSD?

This is a painful discussion in many ways, but, as the Captain said, we MUST talk about it.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #4
     I read the FF forms closely every time I buy a new gun.  Things change.  Why do I have to denote whether I am Hispanic or not for instance?  Back to the point, there is a question of whether you have been committed to a mental institution.  If yes, then you are not qualified to buy a gun.  Not just military vets have PTSD.  What about law enforcement, EMTs, teachers, mothers after birth, rape victims?  The list goes on and on to probably includes most people to an extent.  The new generation probably gets PTSD if a responsible person spanks their little butt  This is just a  knee jerk reaction to try to get the heat off their back.  The President put it right when he said that school security must be tightened up before we go any further.  The press response to this is "take away all the guns".  The President said that there are already X amount of guns out there and so school security must be the first priority.  Vets with PTSD are not usually a threat to anyone but themselves,  They are just an easy target for lawmakers to appear to be attacking the problem.  The problem is not guns or Vets with PTSD  It's the general decline of respect and parenting and education to instill values in people so that they will know that these mass and individual killing sprees with any kind of firearm are wrong  Human life matters.  I'm sorry to run on like this, but things have to change at the roots to fight the cause and not the symptoms.  Guns are not the cause.

Reply #5
All The Way, look at that question again because it states if you have been adjudicated mentally defective, not sought treatment for mental illness. Mental illness has come out of each and everyone's mouth over what the problem is. And yes PTSD is a mental illness and it is killing our vets daily whether by suicide or by going off the deep end and being shot by law enforcement. There are several levels of mental illness and we do need to determine a level where anyone with a mental disorder needs to be adjudicated and put into NICS to prevent them from purchasing a firearm. It is time for those getting help (and thank God they are) to step up and speak out and in a civilized manner to be taken seriously about where we need to help draw that line. Like I said before, I know several of my brothers that suffer from PTSD and some should be allowed and others never. What needs to happen is this needs to have to be introduced to consider helping sort out where the line needs to be before some whack job liberal psychologist determines that anyone suffering from any level of mental illness be put on the ban list which includes them. But if you think that treating brothers the same as everyone else is the answer then guess again. I take a special interest and ask my buddies how they are doing and if they need anything including a place to go for a time out to sit and talk as I always will listen. i expect out of all of our vets as I started doing this with a vet that had returned from Vietnam in the mid 70s with severe "shell shock" and we talked almost every day. 4th of July was a real bad time of the year for him. I did what he said helped him the most and I pray that he got through it all and survived as I lost track of him after he moved. My point being is there is a whole lot of them out there that should be banned but also need our help and there are those affected but still maintaining and healthy. The whole point is to discuss it before something gets shoved up there a$$es that is not right. I am getting tired of seeing many use suicide by cop to end their lives as they do not see what they are doing to someone else and most LEOs do not know how else to deal with these folks when they go off.
I had a dream! Free at last, Free at last! Moving to Idaho

Reply #6
....when a vet has been diagnosed with PTSD, there is also a block on their medical forms that states "WW Deployable", which when checked, infers that it has been assessed that they are not a threat to themselves and/or others and that that individual is fully capable of performing in another combat zone to carry out the mission. 

...I saw these same "attributes" applied to the Vietnam Vets and continue on to our DS/OIF/OEF and current IR vets....

....I agree that a "blanket policy" will be a slippery slope, but it does make for sensational political free advertisement and "poli-tricking" as opposed to "truth in Government" that too many with contrary agendas and ulterior motives will continue to use as strategy..... we can only be ever vigilant and proactive, not complacent when threatened in such a manner....

BTW, remember we took an oath to protect against "both foreign and domestic".... ;-)