January 24, 2022, 04:58:16 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Sierra 6.5mm 142gr Match kings

Started by Fuj, January 02, 2017, 03:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuj

Anybody with some real time life experience ?? I'm looking for any
input from factory loaded match ammo only....I've been  going over
the ballistic calculators, and the 142 Sierra looks like it butts heads
with the Hornady 140 ELDs pretty good.

Factory loaded ammo only, guy's. I have a case of 140 ELDs on the
shelf already, and would like to stock other factory loadings as I find
the prices right....Thanks fellas

Fuj

Fuj

I screwed up !! this needs to be in the "Ammunition" catagory
and not "Reloading".....Sorry Boss !!

Danbonzo

I'm confused. Does a factory ammo  come topped with a 142smk?
As far as experience with that pill, it's an excellent projectile. Excellent consistency and BC,and it works in mags. I've used it in matches and it's drop is equivalent to the Berger and Hornady pills in the 140 class.
RIP Chris Cornell

Fuj

Quote from: Danbonzo on January 02, 2017, 03:32:55 AMI'm confused. Does a factory ammo  come topped with a 142smk?
As far as experience with that pill, it's an excellent projectile. Excellent consistency and BC,and it works in mags. I've used it in matches and it's drop is equivalent to the Berger and Hornady pills in the 140 class.

Right now I'm only seeing "Creedmoor Sports" with an offering for
$28 bucks a box on new Hornady brass, and Copper Creek with a
nasty $38 bucks a box on new Hornady brass....I'm seeing only
custom shops loadng at this point.....You would think Federal
Premium at least would have a line geared to compete with Hornady !!

Checking "Ammo Seek" does'nt even list a 142 gr in the 6.5

dadajack

The 142s are awesome. I need to order another batch myself. I agree it is somewhat strange Fed doesn't try to compete, but then again, the entire premise of the 6.5 Creedmoor was to provide a match quality cartridge that can be "reused" many times, according to the story of the Creed sticky. So, Fed may just see it as a non-starter to try and compete with hornady with Hornady's cartridge and a bunch of shooters (possibly the vast majority of which) who reload exclusively for it.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Danbonzo

January 04, 2017, 08:27:01 AM #5 Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:40:27 AM by Danbonzo
Quote from: dadajack on January 04, 2017, 06:40:49 AMThe 142s are awesome. I need to order another batch myself. I agree it is somewhat strange Fed doesn't try to compete, but then again, the entire premise of the 6.5 Creedmoor was to provide a match quality cartridge that can be "reused" many times, according to the story of the Creed sticky. So, Fed may just see it as a non-starter to try and compete with hornady with Hornady's cartridge and a bunch of shooters (possibly the vast majority of which) who reload exclusively for it.
Yes but with all the manufacturers jumping on the 6.5cm train and especially since both S&W and Savage are offering AR's chambered in said same for 2017, If I was upper management at Federal I'd be all over getting ammo out in differing grades so shooters needs, and budgets would force the hand. It would be a snowball effect- ammo sells, more rifles are made... more rifles made, more ammo sells. I honestly see the 6.5 Creedmoor eventually taking the title away from the .308 in popularity. I would want a very large piece of that market share pie if I was Federal's CEO. Yup I'd be boxing already...
RIP Chris Cornell

Wilson1911

QuoteI honestly see the 6.5 Creedmoor eventually taking the title away from the .308 in popularity

Not going to happen. There are too many people who have no idea what a rebarrel is. With 308 you buy the gun and the thought of a barrel job does not even enter your mind.

Even after all the hype and everyone jumping on board for a creed rifle...Rem still does not have one and Fed (FGMM) should already have had ammo on the shelves. This is kind of a good thing. Company's like Prime have opened their doors for us. I have never bought prime ammo, but I if I did, I would rather shop with them. Other than fed primers, I have no use for them....and now that Lapua is going to make brass, I will be moving over to 450's. We are a secondary market for their primers I think.

I have not shot the smk's, but thats only because I shoot them in my 338, and I find them inconsistent on the 0give. I do appreciate what hornady has done with the creed and will continue to buy their bullets.

Sometimes its more of a matter of what your local shop puts on the shelves. My shop stocks tons of bergers along with hornady and seirra...in that order. But they build most of the guns on 47's or larger calibers.

Jack is always praising them, so I might try them on the new barrel if he has the new metaplat ones.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

RioKid

Fuji, are you looking for more Hornady 140 ELD??  If so, I just ordered some yesterday from "Outdoorlimited.com". It was on sale in bulk cases ( 200 rounds ).
Chris
Chris

Danbonzo

Quote from: Wilson1911 on January 04, 2017, 12:50:53 PMNot going to happen.

Everyone was saying the same thing a year and a half ago when I said Lapua would start making 6.5cm brass.
ps. "Eventually" doesn't mean overnight ????
RIP Chris Cornell

Fuj

Quote from: RioKid on January 04, 2017, 02:39:31 PMFuji, are you looking for more Hornady 140 ELD??  If so, I just ordered some yesterday from "Outdoorlimited.com". It was on sale in bulk cases ( 200 rounds ).
Chris

I bought a case from them several months back for initial stock,
towards a build. I use SG Ammo for most of my 5.56 military loads.
Outdoor Limited ran a special on case lot 140 ELD match ammo.
Great pricing and one of the few companies that did'nt jack up
the shipping. I found these guys using Ammo Seek.....

Fuj

Quote from: Danbonzo on January 04, 2017, 04:00:04 PMEveryone was saying the same thing a year and a half ago when I said Lapua would start making 6.5cm brass.
ps. "Eventually" doesn't mean overnight ????

I spent a good part of yesterday and a few brews skulking around European
shooting sites. let me say we are fortunate living in the good ol'  U.S.A.
I found several references of shooters not being able to get Hornady brass.
And forget the loaded stuff. We take it for granted. Them poor bastards over
there are screwed if shooting is there hobby.  Lapua brass is pretty much a
standard over there.....Now I know I'm jacking my own thread here but
truthfully, why would anyone want a case within the .308 size class utilizing
a small  primer ??? Sorry fellas, I'm not seeing it over the wide spectrum.

Other then that, good to hear about the 142's. I personally would prefer them
over anything with a plastic tip. Yes, that's another argument but, that's why
were here.....

Fuj

dadajack

Quote from: Wilson1911 on January 04, 2017, 12:50:53 PMJack is always praising them, so I might try them on the new barrel if he has the new metaplat ones.

I've found Sierra to be the most consistent for CBTO and BBTO. OAL isn't a thing for consistency unless you are shooting tipped. Lot to lot consistency is big deal, although, not so much if you are buying hundreds or thousands of the same lot. I've seen HUGE shifts from Hornady and Berger, but Hornady shoots well and cheap, and Berger isn't worth the money for what I get Sierras and Hornady's to shoot. Nosler CCs are a very viable option as well, but I think the price bump to Sierra 142 (factory pointed) Matchkings is well worth it.

The 308 will not fall behind the 6.5 Creedmoor in American rifle sells, not in our lifetimes anyway. If the military switches from 7.62x51 to 6.5x49mm, then we have a whole new adventure on our hands. As it is, military surplus ammunition will drive US rifle sales for 5.56 and 308 for the foreseeable future. From a hobbyist, or enthusiasts perspective though, it already has. 

Darkker

Federal was fairly recently spun-off from ATK. So their orders and backing aren't the same. And they now don't get to kick around Speer as their bullet whipping boy, but they don't build a sexy one currently anyway.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Turbo

I am in Dadajacks' camp, if you have never tried 142gr SMKs and like punching paper, then do yourself a favour a buy a box IMHO. Jump 20 thou or more, do not jam them at all. Yesterday in 35kph gust winds, I took out smallest group out of 40 guns with them on the 300metre (328yd) bench. Left the very popular 6mm and 7mm in the 142grs wake. Still working on trying to get Bergers consistently below 0.25 moa for consecutive 5 shot groups, but this is a longer term project and I hate burning barrels on test work.
Creedmoor rules, Darryl
[Only punch holes in paper @200m, 300m, 500m & 1000yds]

dadajack

Quote from: Turbo on January 07, 2017, 07:17:48 PMI am in Dadajacks' camp, if you have never tried 142gr SMKs and like punching paper, then do yourself a favour a buy a box IMHO. Jump 20 thou or more, do not jam them at all. Yesterday in 35kph gust winds, I took out smallest group out of 40 guns with them on the 300metre (328yd) bench. Left the very popular 6mm and 7mm in the 142grs wake. Still working on trying to get Bergers consistently below 0.25 moa for consecutive 5 shot groups, but this is a longer term project and I hate burning barrels on test work.
Creedmoor rules, Darryl

It's a small camp, so don't expect to stay warm brother... ^_^